Input needed for features

Coordinator
Aug 27, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Input needed on how people would like the provisioning logic to work, and how to manage it.

I am adding check on if web part has been added to website (checking safecontrols).

I am also adding the possibility to manage what site collections the web part gallery should be published. Here I am interested in how it would make most sense to implement the provisioning logic and UI configuration:
Should it be stored on properties on the webpart list item where the webpart should be provisioned to (this would give most flexibility, since you can vary per-webpart) and especially what would be a good way to configure in UI/PowerShell what webparts goes where.

Feel free to air any thoughts you might want to share, feature requests etc.

Sep 20, 2011 at 1:32 PM

If we're talking Farm Solutions, could have a Central Admin config page to set up which site collection is the hub for every web application, storing that in the property bag for the SPWebApplication?

Sep 20, 2011 at 4:58 PM

For per-web part config of which site collections to publish to, the 'Hub' site collection could store a list of web parts to publish.

Each Item in that list would represent one web part and one site collection to 'publish'. Maintenance of this list is based on views, filter by site collection or filter by 'web part'. Might need a web part or an application page to configure the list - some way of picking a web part to 'publish', then a 'site collection picker' to choose which site colls to make it available to.

GetItemsCore can then just use the view of that list, filtering the current site url to get a list of web parts to 'publish'. Might even have another field or so to allow approval on the list. Once it has a list of web parts available to the current site collection, follow the rest of the logic to get the XML for each web part from the gallery.